Municipality of the District of Digby

LED Street Lights

alt

Most of the province's roads and highways were being lit by high-pressure sodium (HPS) and some mercury vapor bulbs, both of which are relatively inefficient and high consumers of electricity when compared to newer lighting solutions. Before the changeover process began, Nova Scotia Power owned about 90% of all the roadway lights in the province, with the remaining 10% belonging to municipalities. Nova Scotia Power has until the end of 2019 to make the switch, while municipalities have until the end of 2022.

The Municipality had the option of continuing to rent lights from Nova Scotia Power, or purchase their own; they have opted to purchase their own lights, and will likely have the project completed by the fall of 2014.